Boater dons life vest.
A number of lakes and ponds on Mount Desert Island permit boating. Each body of water has specific watercraft restrictions. Please remember:
- During eagle and seabird nesting season, some islands are closed to the public. Please respect posted closures, which include:
- February 15 to August 31 - Bar Island ( Somes Sound ), Long Porcupine Island, Rolling Island, Schoodic Island, and Sheep Porcupine Island are closed to protect nesting bald eagles or seabirds.
- April 1 - July 31 - Heron Island and Thrumcap Islands are closed to protect nesting seabirds.
- All towns have launching areas for saltwater near town docks and municipal piers.
- The law requires you to carry a Coast Guard approved life vest for each passenger. A better idea is to wear them. It could save your life!
- Canoes, kayaks, sailboats, and motorboats can be rented in surrounding communities. A variety of commercial vessels offer ferry service, fishing, nature cruises, sailing, and whale watching excursions.