Virtual Tour Stop 3

Pulaski Battery site
Original 6-pounder field gun marking the position of Captain William Woodruff's Pulaski Battery 

Sarah Cunningham

 
Site of Edwards Cabin
1850s cabin (moved to the battlefield in the 1970s) marking the location of the original Edwards Cabin

NPS Photo

The Pulaski Light Battery from Little Rock, Arkansas was in position atop a low ridge along Wilson's Creek on the morning of August 10, 1861. The battery quickly went into action and began firing on Lyon’s Federals as they advanced across Bloody Hill. The Arkansans helped slow the Union advance, buying valuable time for Sterling Price and the other Southern commanders to form their men and press forward up Bloody Hill to meet Lyon.
General Sterling “Old Pap” Price, the commander of the Missouri State Guard, established his headquarters next to the cabin of farmer William B. Edwards. Some 1,600 State Guard soldiers camped in this area. It was here that General Price and General Benjamin McCulloch were informed of Lyon’s surprise attack on the Southern camps.

Last updated: April 10, 2015

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

6424 W. Farm Road 182
Republic, MO 65738

Phone:

(417) 732-2662 x227

Contact Us