George Washington’s Mount Vernon and Estates is located on a hill along the Potomac river. Mount Vernon, named after a British General, was originally much smaller than the spacious mansion we see today. Built in 1735 by Washington’s father Augustine, the original building was a one-and-a-half story farmhouse. George Washington raised the roof in 1758 to its current height of two-and-a-half stories.In 1774 Washington drastically increased the floorspace, adding the two wings, the piazza, and cupola.
Washington was an innovator and explored many different ways of integrating new technology and equipment into the construction and operation of his estate. He gave personal attention to Mount Vernon’s operations, and his attentiveness to detail is still reflected in the maintenance and restoration of Mount Vernon today. For example, the room formerly known as the “Nelly Custis Bedchamber” has recently been restored to a more faithful interpretation of the room during its use in Washington’s day. It has been aptly renamed “The Chintz Room.”