Monument-Wedding Canyons Loop
- Location: From the west (Fruita) entrance of the Monument, turn right onto Highway 340 (going east); after 2.1 miles (3.4 km) turn right just beyond mile marker #5 onto a dirt road that appears to be a driveway; go 0.1 mile (0.2 km) to the trailhead. Maps can direct you to Lower Monument Canyon Trailhead.
- Mileage: ~5 miles (8.05 km) loop, +3.5 miles (5.63 km) one way up Monument Canyon from the meeting point with Wedding Canyon undeveloped trail
- Difficulty Level: Moderate to steep
- Elevation: 4,700 to 6,140 feet (1433 to 1871 meters) from lower trailhead to upper trailhead
- Average time: 4-6 hours
- Usage: Hiking and horseback riding permitted along the
lower 5 miles. Hiking only above 5 miles on Monument Canyon Trail.
- Description (from lower trailhead): Shortly after beginning the trail, choose to go clockwise or counterclockwise around this loop. Starting towards the left fork, you enter Monument Canyon first. If you choose the right fork, you'll be starting in Wedding Canyon on an undeveloped trail. At the far end of the loop, you'll be walking beneath Independence Monument. If you choose to go farther into the canyon along Monument Canyon Trail, you'll get to walk below many of the park's major rock sculptures, including Kissing Couple and the Coke Ovens. Check out a photo gallery of this hike.