Elevation Change: Approximately 300 feet (91 meters)
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
Type of Trail: Loop
Trailhead: Split Mountain Area
The Desert Voices Trail offers spectacular views of Split Mountain and several adjacent rock layers. Trail signs describe the area's geology and ecology. There are also many signs that were written and drawn by children. Trail maps of Dinosaur National Monument are available from the park bookstore.
A 0.25 mile (0.4 km) connector trail allows you to combine this with the Sound of Silence loop trail for an even longer hike.
Rules and Regulations
- Pets aren't allowed on this trail or in the monument's backcountry.
- Carry out all trash.
- Collecting artifacts, fossils, plants, antlers, rocks, or other objects is prohibited.
- Do not feed or approach wildlife.
- Biking on trails is not permitted in Dinosaur National Monument.
- There is very little shade on this trail.
- Be prepared for desert hiking. Wear a hat and sunscreen. Take water. A minimum of 1 gallon (3.8 liters) of water per person is recommended in summer.
- Temperatures can exceed 100°F (38°C) in summer. To avoid the heat, hike in the morning or evening. Carry a headlamp if hiking near nightfall.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you are due back.
- Wear comfortable, sturdy shoes, such as hiking boots or athletic shoes. Open-toed shoes or sandals are not recommended.
- All natural areas pose risks. Your safety depends on your own good judgement.