Last updated: August 20, 2018
Wright Memorial Memes
- Grade Level:
- Middle School: Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade
- Literacy and Language Arts
- Lesson Duration:
- 60 Minutes
- State Standards:
- N.C. 8.C.1.3 Create original works that communicate ideas and feelings
What character traits did the Wright brothers possess?
The student will be able gain a deeper understanding of Wilbur and Orville Wright through the creation of a meme that reflects that Wright Brothers’ ingenuity, perseverance and determination.
Near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina Orville and Wilbur Wright made the first successful flight in history of a self-propelled, heavier-than-air-aircraft. Orville piloted the gasoline-powered, propeller-driving biplane, which stayed aloft for 12 seconds and covered 120 feet on its inaugural flight.
Read the story aloud, The Wright Brothers’ Glider, by Gerry Bailey and Karen Foster
- Were the Wright brothers really the first to fly?
- What character traits did Wilbur and Orville illicit in the story that helped them achieve first flight?
For this lesson students will need: computers, paper, and pencils. To download lesson materials and the full lesson plan, click the link below.
1. Allow students opportunity to research ideas for their memes:
Areas of focus:
- Pre-Kitty Hawk: What events led to Wilbur and Orville venturing into the aeronautics industry? How did these events help/hurt them in their endeavor to achieve first flight?
- Kitty Hawk Events: What challenges did Wilbur and Orville face during their time at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina? Were all of their attempts successful? If not, how did these failures help them in achieving first flight?
- Post Kitty Hawk: What challenges did the Wright brothers face after their successful flight at Kitty Hawk? Do you feel that they were satisfied with their achievements?
2. Create memes either digitally or by hand using rubric. The following digital resources can be used to create digital memes:
3. Combine memes to form a quilt/mosaic titled “First Flight Fun”
Ingenuity - The quality of being clever, original, and inventive.
Perseverance - Steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.
Determination - Firmness of purpose; resoluteness.
Pun - A joke exploiting the different possible meanings of a word or the fact that there are words that sound alike but have different meanings.
Irony - The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
Students will be evaluated using the rubric provided:
Create Twitter posts of the Wrights brothers first flight using 140 characters or less.
The Wright Brothers’ glider, by Gerry Bailey and Karen Foster