Student Activities, Teacher Reference Materials
- Grade Level:
- Middle School: Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade
- State Standards:
- Iowa Core: MS–LS2–1, MS–LS2–2, MS–LS2–3, MS–LS2–4, HS–LS4–1, HS–LS4–2, HS–LS4–3, HS–LS4–4, HS–LS4–5, HS–LS4–6
Prepare students for a visit to the 81-acre tallgrass prairie at Herbert Hoover National Historic Site. Activities strenghten skills in observation, analysis, and interpretation in the field and in the classroom. Activities are written with middle school students in mind, but may be appropriate for other ages.
- Teachers and students will be prepared for a visit to the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site's 81 acre reconstructed prairie.
- Students will become acquainted with Iowa's tallgrass prairie, its formation, and its demise.
- Students will be introduced to ecological principals and concepts through study of the tallgrass prairie.
- Students will recognize that environmental issues are multidisciplinary in scope.
- Students will strengthen their skills in observation, analysis, and interpretation, both in the field and in the classroom.
The curriculum may be used in the classroom or outdoors. The materials may be adapted for any grade.
Last updated: November 4, 2018