- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Literacy and Language Arts
This post-visit activity is intended for use after a trip to Mesa Verde National Park and an educational tour of Balcony House. Students will write a story describing a trip back through time to Balcony House in the year A.D. 1250. Students will describe the environment, their daily activities, and how they meet their basic needs. A class discussion will enhance the lesson by comparing and contrasting their lives with the lives of the Ancestral Pueblo people.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate their knowledge of the three elements of culture discussed at Mesa Verde (basic needs, activities of daily living, and adaptations to environment) through stories.
- Identify at least three specific features of Balcony House in their stories.
- Explain the significance of cultural artifacts or ideas.
- Demonstrate an ability to compare and contrast elements of their culture with another's.
Last updated: October 2, 2015