- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Social Studies
- State Standards:
- NATIONAL/STATE STANDARDS:Kansas Social Studies Standards 1, 3, 4, 5
Missouri Social Studies Standards 3a, 6
National Social Studies Standards 1, 3, 5
- This program is designed for grades 5-8.
- The purpose of this program is to acquaint the students with life at Fort Scott during the primary eras during the site's history: Westward Expansion, Bleeding Kansas and the Civil War.
- Interpreters in period dress stationed at different locations will give presentations focusing on an aspect of life at Fort Scott from one of these eras.
- The program consists of an introduction to the site's history, and five stations; each station representing a siginificant era of the site's history.
- The program is held on designated days in April and May and is offered twice each day. Programs are offered at 9:30 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. on each of these days. Dates for 2020 are April 30, May 1, May 14, May 15. Each time-frame can accommodateabout 150 students. The program is wheelchair accessible.
- For reservations call 620-223-0310. When making reservations, allow enough time to arrive 15 minutes before the program begins. Schools with a shorter drive should consider the 9:30 program, whereas schools coming from a longer distance may find that the 11:45 program will better suit their needs.
- Upon arrival, students are given a brief introduction to the history of the site. They are then split up into five groups of about 30 students (ideally) to 45 students (maximum) per group. Each group rotates between five stations.
- Each station lasts twenty minutes, with the total program length being about one hour and fitty minutes
- At each station, the students will engage in activities relating to different aspects of life at Fort Scott during the mid-nineteenth century.
- Confirmation and teacher's guides will be sent out in March. Guides will include pre- and post-visit activities.
- When making reservations, allow enough time to arrive 15 minutes before the program begins.
Last updated: February 29, 2020