“Island of Hope, Island of Tears” Movie Worksheet
- Grade Level:
- High School: Ninth Grade through Twelfth Grade
- Literacy and Language Arts,Social Studies
Students of all ages can watch this award-winning documentary film which reveals how and why millions of immigrants journeyed across the world to Ellis Island, hoping for a better life for themselves and their descendants. This free program includes a 5-minute ranger talk followed by the 30-minute documentary. Seats are on a first-come first-served basis to all visitors, and showtimes start every half hour with a maximum limit of 140 people per showing.
Look over the questions before the movie starts to help you answer the worksheet.
1. Why did people leave Southern and Eastern Europe?
2. What were conditions like in steerage?
3. How did one passenger describe how people were treated in steerage?
4. Why did the steamship companies crow so many people into steerage?
5. Why was Ellis Island so frightening?
6. Why were the ship manifests so important?
7. Why did people have to have money?
8. So what did it take to leave your home, travel in steerage, and go through Ellis Island experience?