Last updated: April 19, 2018
“Island of Hope, Island of Tears” Movie Worksheet
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Literacy and Language Arts,Social Studies
Students of all ages can watch this award-winning documentary film which reveals how and why millions of immigrants journeyed across the world to Ellis Island, hoping for a better life for themselves and their descendants. This free program includes a 5-minute ranger talk followed by the 30-minute documentary. Seats are on a first-come first-served basis to all visitors, and showtimes start every half hour with a maximum limit of 140 people per showing.
Look over the questions before the movie starts to help you answer the worksheet.
1. Why did people want to leave their homes?
2. What was it like on the boat?
3. How do you think people felt at Ellis Island?
4. How did they test (inspect) immigrants at Ellis Island? What were the inspectors looking for?