- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Social Studies
- State Standards:
- NATIONAL/STATE STANDARDS:Kansas Social Studies Standards 2 and 5, Missouri Social Studies Standard 6,
- This program is designed for grades K-4. This dates for the program in 2020 are May 7 and 8.
- The purpose of this program is to acquaint the students with life at Fort Scott in the 1840s.
- Interpreters in period dress stationed at different locations will give presentations focusing on various aspects of life at Fort Scott during that era.
- The program consists of an introduction to the site's history, and seven living history stations.
- Most stations are wheelchair accessible.
- Upon arrival, students are given a brief introduction to the history of the site. They are then split up into groups of 50 students maximum per group. Each group rotates between seven stations.
- Each station lasts about fifteen minutes, with the total program length being two hours and fifteen minutes. The program begins at 9:45 a.m. and ends at 12:00 p.m.
- At each station, the students will engage in interactive activities relating to different aspects of life at Fort Scott during the 1840s.
- Confirmation and teacher's guides will be sent out in March. Guides will include pre- and post-visit activities.
- The program will be presented by high school students from the area. (Fort Scott High and Nevada HIgh)
Last updated: February 29, 2020