Last updated: September 13, 2018
Life at the Fort Ranger Guided Field Trip
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Science,Social Studies
- Common Core Standards:
- 3.L.3, 3.L.3.a, 3.L.3.b, 4.L.3, 4.L.3.a, 4.L.3.b, 5.L.3.a, 5.L.3.b, 3.RF.4.c, 3.RF.3.d, 4.RF.3.a, 4.RF.4.c, 5.RF.3.a, 5.RF.4.c, 3.RI.1, 3.RI.3
The most popular ranger-conducted program. This program is offered twice a day on the days the park has ranger availability, once at 9:45 am and once at 12:45 PM. If you have a group larger than 70 students the start and end times are extended.
Life at the Fort includes a visit to the fort with a ranger in period costume and two 30 minute self-guided activities including an exhibit hall seek and find and a plant identification activity out on one of our trails. Groups over 60 may have an additional activity. The visit wraps up with a flint lock muzzle loading demonstration.
Chaperone Ratio: 1:10 minimum, 1:3 maximum
Grades: 3-5, 6-8, High School
Group Size: 20 to 60 Students
9:45 a.m. - noon OR 12:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
To reserve a program:
- Visit the school calendar to check for available dates. If your group is less than 20 students or more than 70 please look specifically for dates with small group and large group slots.
- Once you have tentatively selected a program and first-choice, second-choice and third-choice dates, please complete the reservation form and request for fee waiver, if you are interested in having the entrance fee waived.
- Send the forms at least 4 weeks in advance of your anticipated field trip date by fax to (503)861-4428, e-mail, or mail to:
Attn: Education Programs Coordinator
92343 Fort Clatsop Rd Astoria, OR 97103
To prepare your students for the visit, please download the pre-visit packet.