Commercial and Non-Industrial Occupations
Post-Visit Activity 1: Discussion and Journaling
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Social Studies
- Lesson Duration:
- 30 Minutes
- Common Core Standards:
- 4.W.2, 4.W.2.a, 4.W.2.b, 4.W.2.c, 4.W.2.d, 4.W.2.e
- State Standards:
- 4 - H3.0.4
- Thinking Skills:
- Remembering: Recalling or recognizing information ideas, and principles. Understanding: Understand the main idea of material heard, viewed, or read. Interpret or summarize the ideas in own words. Applying: Apply an abstract idea in a concrete situation to solve a problem or relate it to a prior experience.
Students will be able to reflect upon their visit to the Calumet Visitor Center and name at least two observations about photography or entrepreneurs in the displays.
This lesson is to be completed after a visit to the Calumet Visitor Center.
- Optional: White board
Individually, students will journal about their observations from their visit to the Calumet Visitor Center.
1. Individually, students will journal about their observations from their visit to the Calumet Visitor Center. What did they like most about it or what stood out in their minds the most? What connections can they make from the pre-activities to what they observed? Were there any entrepreneurs that stood out? What did they notice about the some of the photographs (ethnicity, gender, etc.)?
2. After journaling, students will share some of their thoughts in a class discussion. They will turn in their journals for review.
Maggie Walz https://www.nps.gov/kewe/learn/historyculture/maggie-walz.htm
J.W. Nara http://www.lib.mtu.edu/mtuarchives/exhibits/Nara/photos/pamphlet.pdf
Antonia Putrich and Marie Grierson
Hoagland, Alison K. Mine Towns: Buildings for Workers in Michigan’s Copper Country. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2010
Additional Photograph lessons: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/education/lessonPlans/indices/elementary.shtml
Little Book and Accordion Book:
Lindquist, Tarry. Seeing the Whole Through Social Studies, Second Edition. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2002
Related Lessons or Education Materials
This post-activity is one of three that can be completed for fourth grade about commercial and non-industrial occupations in the Keweenaw before a field trip visit to the Calumet Visitor Center. There is also an assortment of related pre-visit activities that can be completed as well.