Creating a Look for Lady Liberty
- Grade Level:
- Lower Elementary: Pre-Kindergarten through Second Grade
- Literacy and Language Arts
- Lesson Duration:
- 30 Minutes
The Statue of Liberty and her likeness has consistently been modeled and reinterpreted for over 130 years. This activity encourages students to create their version of Lady Liberty in a fun and artistic way. Students will draw their own Statues of Liberty that reflect their ideas about what she represents.
The Statue of Liberty and her likeness has consistently been modeled and reinterpreted for over 130 years. This activity encourages students to create their version of Lady Liberty in a fun and artistic way.
- Drawing paper
- Colored pencils
- Printouts of different artist depictions of the Statue of Liberty
Creating a Look for Lady Liberty Lesson Plan
Ask students if they have seen any variation of the Statue of Liberty? Perhaps in movies or videos? Or in songs or advertisements?
- Arrange the printouts of the artists’ depictions of the Statue of Liberty side by side. Invite students to take a closer look. Ask them what they notice. What is the same? What is different?
- Explain that before the Statue of Liberty received her iconic look, the artist, Bartholdi, experimented with other designs. And as you can see from these pictures, many artists have had their own ideas about what the Statue of Liberty looks like and what it means to them.
- Invite students to draw their own statues based on their ideas. What do they think the Statue of Liberty represents? What might they add or take away from the statue?
- Give students drawing paper and materials to create their own statues.
- When students have finished, have them do a gallery walk. Invite students to explain their design choices.
Depiction- representation in image form, as in a painting or illustration.
Icon- a sign, picture, image or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.
Represent- to serve to express, designate, stand for, or denote, as a word, symbol, or the like does; symbolize.