Last updated: January 23, 2018
Class of Discovery
- Grade Level:
- Upper Elementary: Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Literacy and Language Arts,Science,Social Studies
This in-depth, hands-on experience explores the Lewis and Clark Expedition at Fort Clatsop in 1805-06 through curriculum-based pre-visit, in-park and post-visit activities. Students become the members of the expedition and, while at the fort, serve on guard duty; write with quill pens; work with hides and furs; make flint-and-steel fires, and tallow candles. This education program is a truly authentic experience! Especially for those visiting in December, January, February or March when the expedition was here!
The cornerstone of the success of "Class of Discovery" is the team-teaching approach. Park staff, classroom teachers, adult volunteers and parents come together to help students experience and learn about the expedition. Teachers are trained to conduct visitor center and outdoor activities during an workshop which is offered in the fall and in the spring. Adult volunteers and parents are trained to teach the activities at the fort. A ranger in buckskin at the fort and a uniformed ranger at the visitor center coordinate the entire team. Learn about the required Class of Discovery workshops.
This in-park program day is divided in half, up to 34 students are at the fort at a time while the remainder of the group is participating in teacher-conducted activities elsewhere on site.
Chaperone Ratio: 1:5 min. 1:3 max.
Grade: 3-5, 6-8
Group Size: 20-60 students
Time: 8:45 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
To reserve a program:
- Visit the school calendar to check for available dates.
- Once you have tentatively selected a program and first-choice, second-choice and third-choice dates, please complete the reservation form and request for fee waiver, if you are interested in having the entrance fee waived.
- Send the forms at least 4 weeks in advance of your anticipated field trip date by fax to (503)861-4428, e-mail, or mail to:
Attn: Education Programs Coordinator
92343 Fort Clatsop Rd Astoria, OR 97103
To prepare your students for the visit, please download the pre-visit packet.