Last updated: September 28, 2017
- Grade Level:
- Lower Elementary: Pre-Kindergarten through Second Grade
- State Standards:
- Next Generation Science Standards: K-ESS3-1, K-ESS2-2, 1-LS1-1, 2-LS2-2
Can’t make it to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore? We’ve got you covered with our new distance learning programs! The Bear Essentials program will introduce your students to the essentials bears need to survive and inspire them to think like scientists. Complete a pre-visit lesson with your students, get a virtual visit from a ranger, and wrap things up with a post-visit lesson. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us you’d like to schedule a Bear Essentials distance learning program, and give us a preferred date for a test call and the virtual ranger visit.
After completing these lessons, students will be able to:
-List two basic things bears need to survive
-List two adaptations bears use to meet their needs
-Think like a scientist by observing then documenting and describing their observations
Pre-visit lesson (15-30 minutes), virtual ranger program (45 minutes), post-visit lesson (15-30 minutes).
In order to participate in a distance learning program, you will need:
- internet connection
- a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet, with speakers and microphone
- a smartboard projector
- the ability to download the free Polycom RealPresence app
- some basic school supplies for pre-visit, post-visit, and virtual ranger program such as paper, pencils, markers, etc.