The Park Police acquired their first automobile in 1929. By 1932, a total of 6 cars, all Fords, had been incorporated into their vehicle fleet. True to the norm for that early era, the first cars placed into service were black in color. With the exception of a period in the l940's when they were a shade of silver-gray with a triangular emblem on the side, black was the color of choice until the mid-1960's when the light "park service green" cruisers were introduced.
In cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Park Police became the first law enforcement agency to utilize vehicles equipped with an "air cushion restraint system." The Force was provided with 25 dark green cruisers in 1973 for the purpose of this study. At the conclusion of the program, Chief Jerry Wells decided to adopt the distinctive dark green hue for all Park Police vehicles.