The Anacostia Station opened in January 1970 and was located in Anacostia Park adjacent to the Anacostia Pavilion. The Force used the facility until 1983, when the Station was moved to the Anacostia Operations Facility (AOF) at the southern end of Anacostia Park adjacent to Good Hope Road. The facility was shared with the Special Forces, Criminal Investigations, and Training Branches. With the closure of AOF in 1999 for renovation, the Station was moved to the Washington Navy Yard. In November 2002, the Station reopened and AOF was officially dedicated on December 10, 2002. On that date, the Anacostia Station was dedicated in the memory of Officer Hakim A. Farthing who was killed in the line of duty on August 10, 2002. A plaque is displayed outside of the Anacostia Station in his memory.
The officers patrol in cruisers, scooters, mountain bikes, and plainclothes and are supported by horse mounted patrols. The major areas of patrol include: Anacostia Park, the Suitland Parkway (Maryland portion), Fort Dupont Park and its annual summer theater, Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, and Fort Washington Park. The Station also patrols the Frederick Douglas Home, Langston Golf Course, the Oxon Hill Children's Farm, and the remaining National Park Service reservations in the District of Columbia east of the Anacostia River. These areas have undergone much transition over the years, making the parks safer for all. Credit must be given to the hard work of the officers of the Anacostia Station who engineered these changes and patrol these parks today.
The Anacostia Station is located at 1901 Anacostia Drive SE, Washington, DC 20019. To contact the station call (202) 961-4981.
Last updated: March 10, 2023