The Greenbelt Park Station was established in 1953 when the United States Park Police began patrolling the partially completed Baltimore-Washington Parkway. The Parkway originally stretched from Route 175 to Route 197; upon completion, it reached the District of Columbia line. The Greenbelt Station was the first decentralized district in the Washington metropolitan area because of its distance from Headquarters where, prior to the Station's establishment, U.S. Park Police officers reported to duty.
From 1954 to the early 1960's, the Greenbelt Station was located in the East Pines Esso (Exxon) gas station in Riverdale, Maryland. It later moved to the Gatehouse on the grounds of the USDA Agricultural Research Center. In 1966, the Greenbelt Station opened at the entrance to Greenbelt Park and, in 1986, the Station was fully renovated to better serve the needs of a full service police facility. The Greenbelt Station celebrated its 50th year of service to the public in 2003.
The Greenbelt Station provides police services to not only the Baltimore-Washington Parkway and Greenbelt Park, but also to other Federal Reservations in Prince George's and Anne Arundel counties to include the Agricultural Research Center, NASA/Goddard space flight center, and other government agencies.
The Greenbelt Station officers patrol in marked cruisers and are supplemented by unmarked special enforcement vehicles, scooters, mountain bikes, and horse mounted patrols. The Station is also the location of the Warrant Squad, which handles all misdemeanor and traffic warrants from incidents that occurred on Force jurisdiction in the State of Maryland.
The Baltimore Washington Parkway Station is located at 6501 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt, Maryland 20770. To contact the station, call (202) 439-7353.
Last updated: March 10, 2023