Last updated: June 5, 2018
Jackson Street Freedman’s Cottages
These structures were built in the 1890s to meet the city’s increasing demand for housing.
William Enston Home
A late-19th century example of a planned community for the elderly, the William Enston Home is composted of 24 residential cottages.
Porter Military Academy
In 1825, the Federal government acquired land for a new US Arsenal which was later used as an academy to educate former soldiers and boys.
Coming Street Cemetery
The Coming Street Cemetery, established in 1762, is the oldest Jewish burial ground in the South.
Central Baptist Church
Central Baptist Church is thought to be one of the first black churches founded and built solely by African Americans in Charleston.
Constructed in 1867 to 1868, the Avery Normal Institute was Charleston's first free secondary school for African Americans.
Old Bethel United Methodist Church
Old Bethel United Methodist Church is the third oldest church building surviving in Charleston.
Bethel Methodist Church
The first Methodist congregation in Charleston purchased this parcel of land in 1795.
College of Charleston
Founded in 1770, the College of Charleston is the oldest municipal college in the United States, and a National Historic Landmark.
St. Matthew's German Lutheran Church
Patterned after typical German Gothic churches, St. Matthew's German Lutheran Church is a Gothic Revival church constructed in 1867.
Formerly known as the Citadel Green, Marion Square is a 10 acre rectangular plot of land that was conveyed to the colony of South Carolina.
South Carolina State Arsenal
The South Carolina State Arsenal, also known as the Old Citadel, is best known for its association with the Civil War and Reconstruction.
Emanuel A.M.E. Church
The Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, built in 1891, still retains its original altar, communion rail, pews, and more.
Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue
Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim Synagogue, a National Historic Landmark, is the country's second oldest synagogue and the oldest in continuous use.
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church
The congregation of St. Mary's was the first Roman Catholic Church in the Carolinas and Georgia.
Market Hall and Sheds
Market Hall is the only surviving market structure in Charleston, and one of only a few market complexes still extant in the US.
United States Custom House
Majestically overlooking East Bay Street and the harbor, the United States Custom House is one of the most striking buildings in Charleston.
A National Historic Landmark, the Powder Magazine is the oldest public building in South Carolina, and reflects Charleston's early history.
Circular Congregational Church
The Circular Congregational Church is one of the few examples in Charleston of the adaptation of the Romanesque style.
St. John’s Lutheran Church
Built from 1816 to 1818, St. John's Lutheran Church houses Charleston's oldest Lutheran congregation.
The Unitarian Church, a National Historic Landmark, is the oldest Unitarian church in the South.
The Old Jail building served as the Charleston County Jail from its construction in 1802 until 1939.
Dock Street Theatre
The Dock Street Theatre is Charleston's last surviving hotel from the antebellum period.
St. Michael’s Episcopal Church
St. Michael's Episcopal Church is one of the finest Colonial American churches in the country and the oldest church in Charleston.
French Huguenot Church
Completed in 1845, the French Huguenot Church is the third church to be constructed on this site.
The Fireproof Building was the most fire protected building at the time of its construction in 1827.
Hibernian Hall was built in 1840 to provide a meeting place for the Hibernian Society, an Irish benevolent organization founded in 1801.
Charleston County Courthouse
The Charleston County Courthouse was first built in 1753 as the provincial capitol for the colony of South Carolina.
Charleston City Hall
Charleston City Hall was constructed between 1800 and 1804 in the Adamesque style.
Charleston United States Post Office
The United States Post Office and Courthouse was built in 1896 and designed by local architect John Henry Deveraux.
South Carolina Society Hall
The South Carolina Society Hall is considered one of Charleston's most valuable Adamesque buildings.
Farmers and Exchange Bank
The Farmers and Exchange Bank, designed by Edward D. Jones and Francis D. Lee, was built in 1854.
Exchange and Provost Building
Many significant events of the American Revolution and early Federal period occurred at the Exchange and Provost Building.
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church, often referred to as the "Mother Church of Southern Baptists," is the oldest Baptist Church in the South.
First Scots Presbyterian
First Scots Presbyterian Church, the fifth oldest church in Charleston, was constructed in 1814.
Citizens & Southern National Bank of SC
The Citizens and Southern National Bank of South Carolina is the second oldest building constructed as a bank in the United States.
South Carolina Bank of Charleston
The South Carolina Bank of Charleston building has been in continuous use as a bank since it was constructed in 1817.
Old Marine Hospital
The Old Marine Hospital was designed by Robert Mills, who was often referred to as the first professionally trained American architect.
Charleston Library Society
Organized in 1748, the Charleston Library Society is thought to be the third library established in the United States.
St. Philip’s Episcopal Church
St. Philip's Episcopal Church houses the oldest congregation in South Carolina.