Note: Some of the PDFs on this page are being converted to meet 508 compliance codes and are temporarily unavailable; they will be re-uploaded upon completion. Contact the division if you require these documents.
- Ways to Enjoy Natural Sound [304 KB PDF]
- Acoustic Resources are Essential to Functioning Ecosystems and the Visitor Experience [221 KB PDF]
- National Park Guide: Protecting and Enhancing Soundscapes [469 KB PDF]
- The Power of Sound Interpretive Handbook [1,964 KB PDF]
Air Tour Management Planning
- Commercial Air Tour Reporting Spreadsheet [Excel]
- Air Tour Reporting Guidance [1,731 KB PDF]
- Federal Aviation Administration ATMP Website
- Report on Effects of Aircraft Overflights on the National Park System: Report to Congress, 1995
- Western Pacific Regional Sourcebook (USAF/NPS Regional Overflight Sourcebook)
- Bioacoustical Monitoring in Terrestrial Environments, 2012. This article appeared in Acoustics Today, Vol. 8, Issue 3 and may be found on the website of the Acoustical Society of America. This article may be downloaded for personal use only. Any other use requires prior permission of the author and the Acoustical Society of America.
- NSNSD Acoustical Monitoring Training Manual [1,932 KB PDF]
Effects of Noise
- A Synthesis of Two Decades of Research Documenting the Effects of Noise on Wildlife
- Noise Pollution is Pervasive in U.S. Protected Areas
- A selection of sound-impact studies and related publications may be found on the Colorado State University Sound & Light Ecology Team website.
Effects of Vibration
- Annotated Bibliography on the Effects of Vibration on Natural and Cultural Resources [158 KB PDF]