The Department of Interior issues regulations to interpret and implement the law. Regulations have the force and effect of law.
On July 8, 2021, the Department invited Tribal leaders and Native Hawaiian Community leaders to consult on a draft proposal of revised NAGPRA regulations. The deadline for Indian Tribes and Native Hawaiian community leaders to submit written comments has been EXTENDED UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 2021.
The National NAGPRA Program has prepared the following documents to assist with review of the draft proposal.
1. Overview of changes in the draft proposal
2. Index to the draft text definitions
3. A summary of previous tribal consultation in 2011
4. A NHO summary of previous Native Hawaiian consultation in 2009
5. Presentation slides for consultation with Indian Tribes and Native Hawaiian Community
6. Transcripts of consultation sessions on:
August 9, 2021
August 13, 2021
The Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Regulations are codified in Title 43 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) at Part 10 (cited as 43 CFR Part 10).
Final Rules consider public comments and include an extensive preamble with responses to comments. This table includes the date, title, and a link to the final rule published in the Federal Register.
Proposed Rules are issued by the Department of the Interior to seek public comment. This table includes the date, title, and a link to the proposed rule in the Federal Register.
Civil Penalties Inflation
This is a table of civill penalties inflation notices published in the Federal Register. It includes the date, title, and a link to the notice.
Last updated: September 3, 2021