The NPS cold storage project is focused onthe preservation of cellulose film-based materials. Cold storage may be implemented using freezers or vaults. For smaller collections, you may want to consider using a standard houshold upright freezer. However, for larger collections, it becomes more cost efficient to consider using a vault.
These pages provide information to help you better understand and identify the needs of your film-based photographic collections; they include an overview of the filmidaration and pachaging processes and each segment of the program includes links to supplemental documents with more detailed information on relevant topics.
- It extend the longevity of film-based photographic materials
- It can add hundreds of years to the life of films
- It preserves visual histor
Film-based collection materials that should be considered for cold storage:
- Negatives (all types - sheet and roll film)
- Slides (or any type of transparency)
- Motion picture film
- X-ray film
- Aerial film
Last updated: December 18, 2019