"Ocian in view! O! the joy!" William Clark in his journal upon seeing the Columbia River estuary, November 7, 1805
Discover Cultural Landscapes
How do we understand the historic character of a cultural landscape?
Cultural Landscapes of the National Park Service
Click on the point or boundary to discover more!
Cultural Landscape Photo Galleries and Multimedia: Image collections and videos of cultural landscapes around the country.
Find Your Cultural Landscape: Profiles of park cultural landscapes sorted by region of the National Park Service.
Landscape Features: A cultural landscape blog
More Resources for Cultural Landscape Exploration
- IRMA (Integrated Resource Management Applications) - NPS Data Store contains completed Cultural Landscape Inventory park reports and Cultural Landscape Reports, and other cultural landscape documentation and planning documents.
- National Register of Historic Places - A Cultural Landscape Report identifies landscape characteristics and associated features, values, or associations that make a landscape historically significant, based on National Register criteria. The National Register of Historic Places is an effort to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic resources. This website contains a database of listed properties, the criteria for historic significance and integrity, and guidance on completing a nomination.
- NPS Focus Digital Library and Research Station - A collection of images, documents, drawings, and maps related to the natural and cultural resources maintained by the National Park Service. Searchable by subject or park, with a research connection to information resources at the National Park Service, other agencies, and university libraries.
- Multimedia Search - All images and videos at NPS.gov. This link directs to items tagged with "cultural landscape."
- Teaching with Historic Places - This NPS program uses properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places to introduce a new view of history, social studies, geography, civics, and other subjects. The lesson plans incorporate various resources to help teachers bring historic places into the classroom.
- Museum Management Program - Publications, lesson plans, online collections, and virtual exhibits connect the public to the experiences held within NPS museum collections.
Last updated: February 2, 2018