Reservations and Special Use Permits


Ranger-guided tours and interpretive talks are offered year-round. For large groups, such as tour groups or school groups, it is highly recommended to make reservations for tours/talks in advance. Call (719) 729-3003, from 9 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday, for reservations.

Special Park Use and Special Use Permits

A special park use is a short-term activity that takes place in a unit of the National Park Service and provides a benefit to an individual, group or organization, rather than the public at large. The National Park Service may permit a special park use providing the activity will not cause destruction of the park's resources or values, visitor experiences, or the purpose(s) for which the park was established. Permit consideration will be evaluated for potential resource damage and anticipated disruption of normal public use. Sand Creek Massacre National Historic Site (NHS) issues permits for the following activities:
  • Public and Private Gatherings or Ceremonies (1st Amendment activities)
  • Commercial Filming and Photography
If applicants are not familiar with Sand Creek Massacre NHS, a preliminary visit is advisable. The location where the special park use is desired needs to be determined before a Special Use Permit is issued. There are restrictions in certain areas of the park, which could limit planned access and/or activities.


If an applicant wishes to request a special use of the park for a planned activity, they must complete the application for a Special Use Permit and send to the park, to the attention of the Special Use Permit Coordinator. Applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable, $25.00 cashier’s check or money order made out to "National Park Service." (see Permit Fees and Proof of Insurance)

Sand Creek Massacre NHS commemorates an 1864 attack perpetuated by the United States upon peaceful bands of Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes, the effects of which still resonate within those communities. The Park closely evaluates requests from those wishing to interpret this story through various media. To that end, we recommend being as detailed as possible when completing the application. Feel free to add a supplemental information page(s) to the application if you need additional space to answer the requested information.

PUBLIC and PRIVATE GATHERINGS or CEREMONIES (1st Amendment activities)
If an applicant wishes to access the park for purposes of holding a public or private gathering or ceremony, and/or making use of park resources for non-commercial Education/Outreach purposes, these activities may fall under 1st Amendment activities and may not require permit fees. For more information regarding 1st Amendment activities, please contact the Special Park Use Coordinator at (791) 438-5916.

Special Use Permit Application 10-930 (non-commercial purposes)

Applications for filming and photography for both commercial and still photography must be submitted in advance. Depending on the complexity of the project, applicants must complete either the 10-931 (for less than 10 people on crew) or the 10-932 (for 10 or more people on the crew). Submit completed applications to the Special Park Use Coordinator, Sand Creek Massacre NHS. Allow a minimum of 4 weeks for evaluation by the park staff. All efforts will be made to expedite the permitting process.

Special Use Permit Application 10-931 (commercial purposes short form)

Special Use Permit Application 10-932 (commercial purposes long form)


Permit Fees are non-refundable and are based on an annual cost recovery analysis conducted by National Park Service. These fees include an application fee of $25.00, which covers the cost of permit processing and administration. An additional fee may include recovery costs (i.e. reimbursement of costs such as staff time expended on the permitted activity) and location fees. If permit fees are accessed, a detailed breakdown of each fee will be included in the park response. All fees associated with issuing the Special Use Permit must be paid in advance of the issuance of the permit. Permit fees must be paid by check or money order made out to the “National Park Service.” For more information regarding permit fees, please contact the Special Park Use Coordinator at (719) 438-5916.

Please note that in addition to applicable permit fees, proof of liability insurance naming the United States as also insured may be required.

Last updated: February 16, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

910 Wansted
POB 249

Eads, CO 81036-0249


(719) 438-5916

Contact Us