The southern terminus of the Blackstone Canal was located just across the street from this park. The approximate location of the Providence canal basin was just north of the intersection of Canal Street and Park Row. The Blackstone Canal connected Providence and Worcester from 1828 to 1848 and was put out of business when the Providence and Worcester Railroad opened in 1847.
This is the only known color image of the canal, and shows a barge passing the Allen Print Works which still stand today right by the Branch Avenue exit off Rt. 95.
Last updated: February 26, 2015