Reconstruction Era National Monument is a new national park unit located around Beaufort, South Carolina. It is a developing park with limited services. In the coming years, facilities will be added to the park in collaboration with our partners.
Local Partner Sites
Penn Center - Penn Center is a cultural and educational center located on St. Helena Island. It evolved from the Penn School, one of the first southern schools organized by northern missionaries for emancipated slaves. During the modern civil rights movement Penn School became a site where the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) conducted its Citizenship Education Program. During the 1960s, Penn Center hosted Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the SCLC staff as they planned the March on Washington and the Poor People’s Campaign. For more information: Click Here
Beaufort History Museum - This museum gives visitors a chance to learn about the important role that Beaufort has played in American history. The Beaufort History Museum is located in the historic Arsenal, which was built in 1852. During Reconstruction it was home to militia units including African American troops. The Arsenal was the first voting station in Beaufort County during Reconstruction and was also used by the Freedman Bureau for storage and supplies for the formerly enslaved African Americans. The Beaufort History Museum is located at 713 Craven Street, Beaufort, SC 29902. For more information: Click Here
Mitchelville - Perhaps the first freedmen’s town established during the Civil War, Mitchelville was laid out by the Union army on nearby Hilton Head Island to accommodate freed slaves. The town had a population of about 1,500 in 1862. Civil War photographs and illustrations of the town show a wide variety of building types and activities. Parts of Mitchelville are preserved as a public park and interpreted for visitors. For more information: Click Here
Fort Howell - The Fort Howell site is an earthen fort constructed next to the Mitchelville settlement to protect freed slaves from recapture by Confederate troops. The fort was manned primarily by African American soldiers. Fort Howell was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011 and today is a public park with interpretive signage (160 Beach City Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926).
Things to Do
Last updated: November 14, 2017