Last updated: August 1, 2014
The current alignment of the Halemau'u Trail was built from 1935-1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps because the old alignment was continuously being damaged by heavy rains. The trail was widened to a standard width and cemented rock walls and guardrails installed. The work required blasting sections with explosives and packing in materials using mules. The trail exhibits many of the characteristics of the naturalistic and rustic design styles of early NPS development which used native materials and integrated the natural landform and character of each site.