Photo Gallery


The rest house at Kalahaku, also known as Craigielea, was the first facility built near the summit of Haleakalā in 1894. The rest house provided tourists with rough shelter from the unpredictable climate until 1914, when a new building was constructed by the Maui Chamber of Commerce due to the increase in number of visitors and vandalism. The 1914 rest house was a Maui landmark until it was demolished in 1957. The Kalahaku Overlook and the Silversword Enclosure and trail were constructed during the Mission 66-era of NPS development. Mission-66 architecture was more modernist in style versus early NPS architecture which was more rustic.