Photo Gallery

Haleakalā Mountain Lodge

The Puʻu Nianiau area of Haleakalā National Park was used by the U.S. Army as a base camp from 1941 to 1946 for facilities being operated at the summit of Haleakalā. After the Armyʻs departure, base camp buildings were used in 1947 for the Haleakalā Mountain Lodge by Robert "Boy" von Tempsky who held a concession with the park. Mr. von Tempsky offered saddle and pack trips through the crater as well as bus transportation from docks, landing fields and hotels in Maui. The name of the facility was changed to the Silversword Inn under new managers in 1958 and closed in 1961. Today, the buildings are used by the NPS for offices, workshops and storage.