Banner Bar
NPS Arrowhead National Park Service
US Department of the Interior
Office of Public Health 1201 Eye Street, NW
Room 1131
Washington, DC 20005

Phone: 202-513-7215
Fax: 202-371-1349
Banner Bar
Office of Public Health - Plague Warning
Points Of Contact
(202) 513-7217
Assistant to Director for Science
(202) 513-7097
(505) 248-7806
Assistant to Director for Field Operations
(202) 513-7056
National Capitol Region
Northeast Region
(215) 597-5371
Southeast Region
(404) 507-5730
Mid-West Region
(402) 661-1718
Intermountain Region
(505) 988-6040
Pacific West Region
(510) 817-1375
Alaska Region
(206) 220-4270
Chipmunks, ground squirrels, rock squirrels or other wild rodents in this area have been found infected with plague.  Insecticides may be used here to kill plague-infected fleas.  PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB rodent traps or insecticide stations.

Plague can be transmitted by:

  • The bite of an infected flea.
  • Handling an infected rodent.
  • Exposure to an infected pet (especially a sick cat).


  • SEE A PHYSICAN if you become ill within 7 days of your visit to this area.  Early symptoms include: fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, a feeling of weakness and, commonly swollen and tender lymph nodes.  Inform your physician that you have been in an area where rodents have plague.
  • It is best to LEAVE PETS AT HOME.  Keep pets confined or on a leash.  Protect them with flea powder and flea collars.  If a pet, especially a cat, becomes sick after visiting this area, take it to a veterinarian and inform vet that it has been in a place where rodents have plague.
  • AVOID ANIMAL FLEAS.  Do not camp, rest, or sleep near animal burrows.  Insect repellent sprayed on socks and trouser cuffs may help.
  • Avoid all contact with chipmunks, squirrels, or other wild animals.  DO NOT FEED.
  • DO NOT TOUCH sick or dead animals.
  • REPORT THEM TO PARK STAFF, or call                                                                          .

If you have any questions, please contact your nearest Regional Point of Contact, park sanitarian or call WASO Public Health for more information.

Return to Vectorborne Infectious Agents Page