The Cavalry Barracks
This barracks was built in 1902 to house enlisted men in the Coast Artillery Corps before Fort Winfield Scott was constructed in the 1910s. After those soldiers moved to Fort Scott, cavalry troops lived here because it was adjacent to the new stables built in 1914. It is very unlikely that the 9th Cavalry soldiers lived here during their stay in 1903-04, but Buffalo Soldier units passing through the Presidio during later rotations in and out of the Philippines may have lived here for short periods.
Last updated: February 28, 2015