The San Pedro is an 8-pound cannon cast in Lima, Peru, in 1673 and brought to San Francisco from the Spanish ordnance depot in San Blas, Mexico. During the Spanish period, the San Pedro was emplaced at the Castillo de San Joaquin to guard the entrance to the San Francisco Bay.
Fremont's men "spiked" the San Pedro (rendered it inoperable) during the 1846 Bear Flag Revolt. The remains of the file that disabled the cannon can still be seen in its touch-hole.
The San Pedro is located outside the Officers' Club, Building 50.
Last updated: October 3, 2016