Cast in 1679 in Lima, Peru, the 8-pound San Francisco bears the coat of arms of Don Baltasar de la Cueva Henriquez y Saaverdra, 24th Viceroy of Peru. Originally emplaced at the Castillo de San Joaquin to guard the San Francisco Bay, the cannon was subsequently moved to Sonoma at the request of the Mexican Governor of Alta California. On July 20, 1846, Captain Montgomery of the U.S.S. Portsmouth sent a military detachment to retrieve the cannon and return it to the Presidio.
The San Francisco is located near the flag pole in Pershing Square.
Last updated: February 28, 2015