Constructed in 1862, Buildings 86 and 87 are the earliest wood-frame buildings still extant at the Presidio. These structures represent a simplified version of the Italianate and the Greek Revival styles, both popular at the time of the Civil War. The Italianate style was predominantly used in residential architecture, where the design and shapes were based on the classical villas of Northern Italy. Features of the style include low roofs, long overhanging eaves, decorative brackets, cupolas, and arcade porches. The Greek Revival style was based on the application of Greek temple shapes to all types of buildings—sometimes indiscriminately—through the inclusion of pediments, columns, bold moldings and heavy cornices. The simplest elements of these two styles were combined in the Quartermaster's building patterns for wood-frame structures.
Last updated: February 28, 2015