Marin MPA Watch Volunteer Training
Location: LAT/LONG: 38.028810, -122.882200
Dates & Times
Type of Event
Join the Marin MPA Watch Volunteer Team!
Do you love to walk on the beach?!
Would you like to learn more about the science and importance of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)?
Then join us on the Marin MPA Watch Volunteer Team!
The Marin MPA Watch trains volunteers to observe and collect unbiased data on coastal and marine resource use at Agate County Beach, Corte Madera Marsh, Drakes Beach, and Limantour Beach.
Data is used to inform the management, enforcement, and science of California's MPAs. Volunteers learn about the coastal environment, become "community scientists" and stewards of the area, and generate quantities of monitoring data that would not be possible under the current state budget.
The MPA Watch program is implemented by organizations throughout California. The Marin MPA Watch is managed by the Environmental Action Committee of West Marin (EAC), and in collaboration with the California Academy of Sciences, and Point Reyes National Seashore.
2019 Training Dates: All training dates are weather dependent. Register in advance for training with email and phone number. Trainings are subject to rain delays or reschedule.
- Saturday, June 22, 2019, at Drakes Beach, 3 pm to 6 pm: Volunteer Training
- Saturday, July 6, 2019, at Limantour Beach, 2 pm to 5 pm: Volunteer Training
- Saturday, July 20, 2019, at Drakes Beach, 2 pm to 5 pm: Volunteer Training
- Wednesday, July 31, 2019, at Agate Beach, 11:30 am to 2:30 pm: Volunteer Training - CANCELLED
- Wednesday, August 7, 2019, at Limantour Beach, 10 am to 1 pm: Volunteer Training
- Saturday, August 17, 2019, at Limantour Beach, 2 pm to 5 pm: Volunteer Training
Other Training Sessions:
- Group Training (10 or more participants) can be scheduled outside of the scheduled training dates by contacting the EAC Marin MPA Watch Team by email.
Reservation or Registration: Yes
Contact InformationMarin MPA Watch