Location: LAT/LONG: 38.070051, -81.075935
Program will be in the Grandview area of the park. From I-64, take exit 129B and follow Route 9/Grandview Road north for 5 miles. The road will terminate in the Grandview area of the park. Large parking lots are available around the visitor center.
Dates & Times
Type of Event
Event lasts from 11:30 AM - 6:00 PM, come and go as you please. Various performances and activities will happen at specific times throughout the day. See description for more schedule information.
Explore how the tradition of music and verse rings throughout Appalachia. Hands-on activities and performances throughout the day bring the heart of these traditions to life.
- 11:30 am – 12:15 pm Make Your Own Music. Stop in and try your hand at a couple of traditional Appalachian instruments, the Hammered and Mountain Dulcimer. We dare you to walk away without knowing how to play at least one song!
- 12:30 pm – 1:00 pm Mountain Traditions: Origins of Appalachian Instruments. See traditional Appalachians instruments and hear how these musical tools were introduced to this mountain region. Hear songs that were influenced by these early traditional tunes.
- 1:00 pm – 6:00 pm Enjoy diverse musical performances by regional musicians, from Bluegrass to gospel. There will be time to have a picnic or check out the scenic mountain vistas at Grandview between performances.
- 1:00 – 2:00 Long Point String Band
- 2:30 – 3:30 Lady D and Mission
- 4:00 – 6:00 Sounds of Gospel featuring the Gospel Singaleers, Sounds of God, Mount Vernon, and Unique Hairston.