2019 Harpers Ferry Night Sky Festival
This event has already occurred. This page is provided for reference only.
Location:Harpers Ferry Middle School (1710 W Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425) and Harpers Ferry NHP, Murphy-Chambers Farm
Dates & Times
Friday, July 12, 2019
Type of Event
A core part of the NPS mission is to conserve the scenery of the nation’s majestic natural settings and historic landscapes, which includes the night sky. Join us for stargazing and an opportunity to learn more about the importance of protecting the night sky. Festival begins with a guest speaker and kids activities, followed by star gazing activities after dusk at the Murphy-Chambers Farm.
Times and Locations for festival events
- 7:00 - 8:00 pm: Exploring the Night Sky in Your Own Backyard
- Guest speaker Dr. Joyce Harman, Astrophotographer and Night Sky Enthusiast
- Location: Harpers Ferry Middle School Auditorium (1710 W Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425)
- 7:00 - 8:00 pm: Kids' Programs
- Ages 5-12. Admission is free but please RSVP to 304-535-2301 in order to ensure adequate supplies.
- Location: Harpers Ferry Middle School Cafeteria (1710 W Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425)
- Dusk - 11:00 pm: Star gazing activities after dusk at the Murphy Chambers Farm.
- Star gazing activities after dusk at the nearby Murphy-Chambers Farm. Learn about the history of the Murphy-Chambers Farm and the NPS efforts to preserve it. View the night sky through telescopes or with the naked eye! Explore the craters of the moon and ponder the 50th anniversary of the moon landing! No astronomy experience required. Hobbyists welcome to bring their own telescopes and are encouraged to share their views. Not ADA accessible. Please no pets.
- This outdoor program is weather dependent and subject to cancellation on short notice. Inclement weather date for stargazing is Sat, July 13, 2019, dusk to 11 pm.
Reservation or Registration: No
Contact InformationAndrew Lee