United Church on the Green

architectural drawing of united church on the green

Quick Facts

Location:
323 Temple Street, New Haven CT
Significance:
Several members organized defense for Mende Africans
Designation:
National Historic Landmark District
OPEN TO PUBLIC:
Yes
Built in 1815, by architect David Hoadley, the United Church on the Green was originally known as North Church. In 1884, it merged with Third Church to create a United Church. Both congregations played an active role in the early abolition movement in the United States. Simeon Jocelyn, founding member of the Third Church, became one of the three founding members of the Amistad Committee formed to raise a defense for the Amistad captives. Committee members appealed to the public for both legal and living expenses throughout the trial. After the captives were freed, the Amistad Committee arranged for their return to Africa.

 

Roger Sherman Baldwin, a member of North Church and a New Haven attorney, offered his legal services to the captives. Over the course of two years, Baldwin successfully defended the Africans' right to freedom. Today a plaque within the church, dedicated to Baldwin and his father's memory, commemorates the active role this congregation member played during the Amistad Incident.

This is just one of many places associated with the Amistad event.  To learn more about other places, please access the main Visit page of this itinerary.

Last updated: July 24, 2017