The Tyree House

historic wood frame house
The Tyree House in Ansted, WV

Quick Facts
Ansted, WV
The Tyree House (or Halfway House), is a historic inn and tavern that provided meals and lodging to weary travelers. Constructed prior to 1810 along an old Indian trail, it became a popular stage coach stop on the James River and Kanawha Turnpike.

Originally built as a two-story, dog-trot log structure, it measures some fifty by twenty feet in length with huge sandstone chimneys and shed-roofed porch on the front and back. Its’ most unusual feature is the exterior stairway ascending up the dog-trot space between the two log structures.

It was nicknamed “the Halfway House” due to its’ location being halfway between Lewisburg and Charleston. During the Civil War, the tavern was occupied at times by both Confederate and Union troops. In 1862, it served as headquarters of the famed Chicago Gray Dragoons.

The Tyree House sits at the corner of Tyree Street and the James River and Kanawha Turnpike East (Fayette County Route 60/33). The property and house are privately owned and not open to the public so please respect the owner’s property. You can park on the street in front of the house to view the wayside exhibit and historic structure.  

Last updated: December 29, 2020