Dedicated on June 27, 1914, on the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, the Illinois Monument was strategically placed at the location where the Federal assault peaked on Cheatham Hill. Originally the Kennesaw Memorial Association, a veteran’s association, tried to raise funds for the monument, the state of Illinois would provide $20,000.00 to fund the construction of a monument and a gubernatorial appointed commission to oversee the project.
James Dibelka was chosen as the architect and J. Mario Korbel as the sculptor for the monument. The McNeel Marble Company of Marietta, Georgia erected the monument. The monument stands 25 feet high and is made of Georgia white marble. An American eagle sets atop the monument and life-size figures of a Union soldier at parade rest is flanked by two Grecian women representing “peace” and either “victory” or the State of Illinois stands on its front edifice. The final project costed $25,000.00; however, it would include the placement of the additional markers of the McCook Brigade marker, Neighbour marker, Fellows marker, Coffee marker, and the stone arch marking the tunnel dug to undermine the Confederate earthworks.
The monument was restored the fall of 2013 through spring of 2014. It was rededicated on June 27, 2014, as part of the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain Events.
At the end of Cheatham Hill Dr in the Southern Section of the park
Dedicated to the Union soldiers that fell assaulting the Confederate 'Dead Angle'
National Battlefield Park
Cellular Signal, Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Parking - Auto, Recycling, Trailhead, Trash/Litter Receptacles, Water - Drinking/Potable
Last updated: February 23, 2021