Last updated: January 27, 2023
Occupying six-acres, the land for this historic site was purchased in 1880 by the Rev. Islay Walden under the auspices of the American Missionary Association. An accomplished author and poet in his own right (known as “The Blind Poet of North Carolina”), Rev. Walden established the “Promised Land Church and Academy”, featuring a church, school, and cemetery. The site was the center of the formerly enslaved community that grew up around the school and church. In 2014, the Randolph County Historic Preservation Commission named the site “Strieby Church, School, and Cemetery Cultural Heritage Site” and in 2022, it was designated a Literary Landmark by United for Libraries. The grounds and cemetery are open to the public, while the church is open for special events.
In 2023, the site was added to the Reconstruction Era National Historic Network.