- 9941 Starr Hill Rd, Remsen, NY 13438
- The Steuben Memorial honors the "Drillmaster of the American Revolution," Baron von Steuben, whose valuable wartime services have been described as being second in importance only to those of George Washington.
- The present day monument was erected in 1870 and replaced a smaller monument erected in 1824. In 1931, then Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt established the site as a memorial state park.
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
As gratitude for his wartime contributions, New York State deeded him a large parcel of land in 1786 and congress granted von Steuben a life annuity in 1790. He spent his summers at his two room log house on the site until his large manor house could be built. Steuben also planned on large scale development of his lands. His large house remained unbuilt and only minimal land development had been accomplished when Steuben died in his cabin in November of 1794. Per his request he was laid in an unmarked grave, but road development exposed his grave in 1804. One of his former aids, Benjamin Walker, took charge of his remains and donated part of the land Steuben had bequeathed him as a final resting place for the Baron’s remains. The site today is known as the "Sacred Grove."
In addition to the “Sacred Grove”, the site also contains a replica of Steuben’s cabin.
NOTE: Steuben Memorial is managed in partnership with the National Park Service at Fort Stanwix National Monument.