Last updated: July 21, 2026
Place
St. Mary’s Cemetery Plaque
NPS/M. Maloy
Quick Facts
Location:
St. Mary's Cemetery
Significance:
Plaque to the First Catholic Church in Virginia
Amenities
1 listed
Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits
This plaque is on an upright stone along Parkway at front of St. Mary’s Catholic cemetery. It is dedicated in 1932 to George Washington and two of his officers from the Revolutionary War: John Fitzgerald and Robert Hooe. It marks the location of the first Catholic Church in Virginia. The creation of the church was spearheaded by John Fitzgerald, with the land being donated by Robert Hooe and some of the first money being donated by George Washington.
Full text of marker:
This stone taken from the canal of
the Potomac Company of which
Washington and Fitzgerald
were Directors commemorates
the erection of the
First Catholic Church
in Virginia, A. D. 1795,
which stood until 1839 about
twenty feet behind this marker.
In grateful acknowledgement of
their aid in establishing this church
the three trees to the north of this
stone have been dedicated as follows to
General George Washington
as subscriber to the building
Colonel John Fitzerald,
his favorite Aide de Camp,
as the collector of the building fund,
Colonel Robert Hooe,
Mayor of Alexandria,
as the donor of the acre of land.
In commemoration of the bicentennial of the
birth of George Washington
this tablet was donated by the Holy Name Society
of Sacred Heart Church (Vailsburg), Newark, N.J.
on the 133rd anniversary of the funeral of
Colonel John Fitzgerald
December 4, 1932.
Full text of marker:
This stone taken from the canal of
the Potomac Company of which
Washington and Fitzgerald
were Directors commemorates
the erection of the
First Catholic Church
in Virginia, A. D. 1795,
which stood until 1839 about
twenty feet behind this marker.
In grateful acknowledgement of
their aid in establishing this church
the three trees to the north of this
stone have been dedicated as follows to
General George Washington
as subscriber to the building
Colonel John Fitzerald,
his favorite Aide de Camp,
as the collector of the building fund,
Colonel Robert Hooe,
Mayor of Alexandria,
as the donor of the acre of land.
In commemoration of the bicentennial of the
birth of George Washington
this tablet was donated by the Holy Name Society
of Sacred Heart Church (Vailsburg), Newark, N.J.
on the 133rd anniversary of the funeral of
Colonel John Fitzgerald
December 4, 1932.