Last updated: July 28, 2017
- 5501 Cleveland Ave., Kansas City, Missouri.
- Social History
- National Register of Historic Places
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
The Spofford Home was established in the latter part of the Progressive Era, a period when religious, women's organizations and immigrant groups organized to develop programs for the social and charitable needs of the community. The original mission of the Home, beginning in 1916, was to take in white children who had been neglected or had been orphaned after a death of a parent. By 1928, the Spofford Home had begun studying the behavioral problems and psychiatric care of children, which continued to evolve into the 1930s and 1940s, when it began focusing on individualized treatment and care. The period of significance of the Spofford Home begins in 1934, with the date of construction and occupancy of the existing building and ends in 1966 with the fifty year cut off as determined by the National Park Service. Significant mission-related activities continued at the building until 1978 when the organization relocated to its present location in south Kansas City, Missouri.