Last updated: June 14, 2018
- 120 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, New York
- Community Planning and Development, art
- Listed in the National Register – Reference number 100000647
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
- MANAGED BY:
- City of Poughkeepsie
The fountain is additionally significant in the area of art as a rare surviving example of a Janes, Beebe & Company No. 5 cast-iron fountain based on a design by French sculptor Michel Lienard exhibited at London’s Crystal Palace in 1851; the company first offered the fountain in 1855. Poughkeepsie’s fountain is thought to date from this time period and is the least altered of the four known castings of “Model No. 5” still extant. In January 1870, the monument committee hired local architect J.A. Wood to design a memorial fountain. Wood’s design was replaced at the last minute when a committee member discovered that a fountain cast before the Civil War was available at the Janes, Beebe & Company foundry in the Bronx. While J.A. Wood’s design featured a military theme, the No. 5 fountain is capped by the Goddess Demeter and features sculptural elements with cranes, marsh plants, and water creatures. Small eagles perching on cannons were added to the fountain to offer a military reference and 24 jets were imported from Paris. The fountain was officially unveiled on July 4, 1870; the following spring, deaccessioned cannons and triangular piles of cannonballs were placed around the fountain and a stanchion and chain fence was erected.