Place

Saugus Blacksmith Shop

One-story wood-sided building with two large barn doors that open out for entrance and wood bench.
Where materials were created for the iron works

NPS Photo

Quick Facts

Scenic View/Photo Spot

A blacksmith shop is where semi-finished products from the Forge and the Rolling and Slitting Mill were turned into finished products. The Saugus Blacksmith Shop, however, did not make products for sale. It functioned as a maintenance shop for creating tools and materials needed for the operation of the iron works.

There was another blacksmith shop on the property established by Joseph Jenks in 1646. This building was not reconstructed, and the area where it was is currently marsh habitat.