Last updated: September 18, 2018
- Little Rock, Arkansas
- Architectural history, association with prominent local families, women's history
- National Register of Historic Places
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
Built in 1840, the house was originally owned by Albert Pike, a poet and Civil War general. In the 1870s the Pike family sold the house and surrounding property and it became the Arkansas Female College. Many prominent local families sent their daughters to be educated at the school and new buildings were added to accommodate the growing number of pupils. Under principal Myra C. Warner, the school continued operation until it closed in 1889.
John and Adolphine Fletcher purchased the property and moved into the house with their family. One of their children, John Gould Fletcher, went on to be a Pulitzer Prize winning poet. Their daughter, also named Adolphine, became one of the most prominent suffragists in Arkansas. She married future Congressman David D. Terry at her family home in 1910. After they married, Adolphine and David continued to live in the house for the next 53 years. When she died, Adolphine willed the house to the city of Little Rock.