The Pedrick Store House was built in Marblehead, just across the harbor from Salem, in 1770 by Thomas Pedrick, a successful member of the merchant community in pre-Revolutionary War Marblehead. At that time, Marblehead was the most successful fishing port in Massachusetts, and the codfish that were caught and dried on the flakes, or drying racks, on shore were shipped from Marblehead and Salem throughout the British empire to be traded for molasses and sugar in the Caribbean Islands, wine in Madeira, and finished goods like cloth, Chinese porcelain, books, and furniture in England.
A warehouse was an important part of a merchant’s property, as it was where goods and equipment for the vessels were stored, repair work could be done for vessels, and the merchant often had his “counting house” or business office. During the Revolution, Pedrick commissioned privateers to capture British merchant vessels, and probably stored captured cargo in his store house. After the war was over, Pedrick, like most of the merchants in Marblehead and Salem, began participating in international trade until his death in 1802.
In 1809, the warehouse was purchased by Captain William Story, a relative of Thomas Pedrick. Story had been the captain of Friendship of Salem for four years, and his purchase of the warehouse was part of his entry into the ranks of the merchant community. Story replaced the wooden dock in front of the warehouse with a more durable granite and earth wharf. Unfortunately, he was not as successful in his mercantile efforts as Pedrick had been, and was forced to sell the warehouse and wharf in 1820. Story returned to sea, and in 1827 became a Weigher and Gauger at the Salem Custom House until 1853, when he turned 80.
After its purchase, the second floor of the Pedrick Store House continued to be used as a sail loft until 1904, operated from 1852 by the Graves Family, while the first floor was an office for the local ferry by the end of the 19th century.
In 1904, the building was purchased by the Marblehead Transportation Company, who altered the building to support their inn and ferry business. In 1993, the building and wharf, then known as Tucker’s wharf, were purchased by the town of Marblehead. After plans for restoration of the building in place were unsuccessful, the National Park Service accepted the building in 2003, and began several years of conservation on the original 18th century timbers.
Last updated: November 7, 2021